The 92nd Academy Awards delivered some stunning fashion moments and red carpet hair looks. This year, we look at the work of three hair stylists who worked on Charlize Theron, Saoirse Ronan, Billie Eilish and America Ferrera.
Here’s the low down on how the stylists created these red carpet hair looks, as well as what products and Dyson tools they used.
Stylist: Adir Abergel
Tips + Technique
“Inspired by an epic year of dramatic short cuts and a style evolution, Charlize’s Oscar look is a smooth, swept-back, deep side part, detailed with black thread creating a beautiful half-moon shape in the back,” said Abergel. “The look highlights a beautiful, classical minimalism with clean lines and shiny, lustrous hair.”
- Prepped your hair by applying Virtue® Healing Oil from roots to ends.
- Mix in a small amount of Virtue® Un-Frizz Cream to seal and create additional shine on the ends.
- Rough dry the hair until 80% dry with the Dyson Supersonic™ hairdryer Professional edition on the cool setting.
- Create a deep side part and continued to dry, using the Dyson wide-tooth comb attachment to smooth hair in the desired direction.
- Apply extensions on either side that were pulled back.
- Finished the look by binding the extensions with black thread and creating an incredible half-moon shape in the back.
Stylist: Adir Abergel
Tips + Techniques
“Saoirse’s look was a simple swept-back updo, twisted into a chignon with baby bangs across the forehead and detailed with beautiful, custom-made jewelled bee accessories,” said Abergel. “The baby bangs were cut the day of and were inspired by early Audrey Hepburn, and the micro bangs we’ve been seeing on the runway in recent seasons. The look is sophisticated, minimal, airy, and very feminine.”
- First, cut micro bangs that have softness and choppiness to them.
- Prepped the hair with Virtue® Volumizing Primer all over the roots and throughout the bangs to create a foundation.
- Dry the bang area first with the Dyson Supersonic™ hairdryer Professional edition, using the smoothing nozzle on medium heat with a classic styling brush, making sure the ends were a little bit curved.
- Take a big round brush and blow-dry the rest of the hair giving it volume, softness and movement. To create some structure to the hair, apply Virtue® Lifting Powder at the root.
- Pull the hair away from the bangs into a chignon anchored right below the crown and secured it with a few bobby pins and hairpins.
Stylist: Mara Roszak
Tips + Techniques
Inspiration: Custom Chanel Look.
“We decided on an up do hair look with a woven in Chanel scarf and broach,” said Roszak.
- Apply IGK NEXT LEVEL volume spray to damp hair roots to ends.
- Blow-dried the hair with my Dyson Supersonic™ hairdryer Professional edition on the low setting and medium heat to maintain volume.
- Sprayed the hair with IGK JET LAG dry shampoo to add volume and texture before gently teasing the crown for height.
- Pull the hair back into a low ponytail and knotted the scarf to the ponytail.
- Twisted the pony, weaving the scarf in and pinned in place.
- Gently wave the front of the hair with a 1 1/4” iron and finished the look off with IGK 1800-HOLD-ME.
Stylist: Aviva Perea
Tips + Techniques
“For the Academy Awards, America is wearing a custom red Alberta Ferretti gown. The dress has big shoulders and a full skirt, so to balance out the volume of the dress, we wanted to keep her hair super sleek and shiny with a centre part.”
*Pro Tip: The goal is to keep the long super straight hair movable while maintaining the smoothness and this hairspray has the right amount of hold.
- The main goal of the day is to chase shine and avoid frizz. To achieve this look, prep the hair with Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion Smoothing Shampoo and Conditioner.
- Apply a golf ball-sized amount of Suave Professionals Firm Control Boosting Mousse on the roots and a grape-sized amount of Suave Professionals Sleek Anti-Frizz Smooth & Shine Cream from mid-lengths to ends.
- Dry the hair with my Dyson Supersonic hair dryer Professional edition, using the Wide Tooth Comb Attachment on high speed & high heat directing the air down, as we don’t want any volume in this look. This attachment can take 90% of the water out of the hair.
- Switch to the Smoothing Nozzle and with a mixed bristle brush blew out her hair. Drying hair in this order, with the comb and then the nozzle, helps to cut down on time and alleviate your arms.
- After the hair is completely dry, turn the heat all the way off and tap the cold button and whirl the dryer around the hair. This helps to lock the cuticle down and helps fight frizz through the night.
- Run a flat iron through hair from roots to ends and then put a few pumps of the Suave Professionals for Natural Hair Define & Shine Serum Gel on both sides of the part and then down the length of the hair shaft to tame flyaways and lock out humidity. The formula of this product is super unique, creating the perfect balance of gel and an oil serum — light enough for the hair to move with the gel providing the perfect amount of hold.
- Spray a healthy amount of the Suave Professionals Flexible Control Finishing Hairspray to a clean mascara spoolie and ran it over the top of the hair to smooth any last flyaways down. While still wet, hit the hair right where you applied the hairspray with the Dyson on cool, with no nozzle pointing towards the floor to dry the spray and ensure the hair is locked into place.
- Spray the Finishing Spray directly from the can from mid-lengths to ends.
Stay with The Last Fashion Bible for all the latest trends and styles form the red carpet.